life

10 Book Series I Loved as a Child

aria-photo-14

Y’all, I am an avid reader.

I suppose if I had to choose only one pastime, it would be reading. I’ve always been like that. When I was but three years old, I learned to read – and at four, I was devouring books. Anyone remember Dick and Jane?

For years, the majority of books I read were Rod & Staff Mennonite and Amish books which my grandparents had (though no one in our family is Mennonite or Amish???), a few children’s classics (Pollyanna, The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, etc), and the Elsie Dinsmore series (which I adored and still do). But as I got a little older and entered the middle-grade age, I got new contemporary-ish series that I fell in love with. I read them over and over and over. They were perfect.

So if you have a middle-grade sibling, or if you enjoy middle-grade books yourself, these are my top faves.

aria-photo-12

1) The Mandie Mystery Series

I still remember being curled up on my bed, scared out of my wits when I read the first book in this series. They’re actually not that scary at all, but then I always was a timid child. However, I really enjoyed this mystery series! They’re about a girl and her cat, Snowball at the turn of the 20th century. And they’re based in Asheville, NC! They are Christian-based, and have good values. Very clean, pretty much no romance, but plenty of escapades and semi-dangerous situations. And a Cherokee friend.

aria-photo-4

2) The Moffats

The Moffats are a poor-ish family – Sylvie, Joey, Janey, Rufus, and of course, Mama – living in New York (State) during the first World War. Each book in this quartet is about a different child. They’re funny, lighthearted, and very enjoyable.

aria-photo-8

3) The Melendy Quartet

Yet another family, this time in WWII.  Mona, the eldest, wants to be an actress. Rush has crazy hair and plays the piano like a prodigy. Randy has equally crazy hair and wants to be a dancer – or an artist. Oliver’s the baby. Father loves them all. And Cuffy is their large housekeeper – and a wonderful cook.

aria-photo-5

4) The Nancy Drew Series

Who here hasn’t read at least one of the Nancy Drew series? I read them all. I’d curl up on Saturdays and read book after book about this titian-haired 18-year-old detective who solved mysteries and got herself into plenty of dangerous situations. They get a little repetitive, but seriously – these are a classic.

aria-photo-9

5) The Betsy-Tacy Series

This is a series about two best friends; what’s not to love? Betsy and Tacy meet when they’re five years old, and the series takes them through school and sees them married. It’s from Betsy’s POV, who wants to become a writer. The books are set in the early 1900s and ends in the middle of WWI.

aria-photo-11

6) In Grandma’s Attic Series

A little girl’s grandma tells her stories about all the hilarious, embarrassing, and awkward escapades she got into when she was a little girl. Ever made a mask out of wax – and let it harden on your face? Ever lick a frosted pump? Ever paint the barn with your mom when Pa was in town?

aria-photo-6

7) The Little House Series

I’m sure everyone’s heard of this series as well, but it was one of my favorites, nonetheless. It took me years to finish, because I only had the first four books for the longest time, but I loved it and still do.

aria-photo-10

8) The Caddie Woodlawn Series

Yet another girl who gets herself into escapades. I think the timing for these books was the mid-1800s or so. Caddie’s a tomboy, and she and her brothers get into plenty of trouble on the farm.

aria-photo-7

9) Mary Poppins

Light, enjoyable fantasy. They’re a bit different from the movie, but I loved these books – especially with the original illustrations.

aria-photo-13

10) The Boxcar Children

I LOVED this series! It’s about four siblings and the adventures they share together. They’re mysteries, and they encounter precarious situations. There are supposed to be a huge amount of books in the series, but I only read the first twelve because I heard they were the only original ones. They’re such enjoyable books!

Well, there you have it, folks! Did any of y’all read these books too?

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

21 Comments

• Reply Christina Snyder

Oh my goodness my reading story is the same! I love all those series 😍 I also learned to read at age three! The first real books I ever read were the little house on the prairie series, and at age four they were a little (okay, a lot) hard to understand. 😂

March 16, 2019 at 12:45 pm
    • Reply Aria

Aww, neat! Haha, yeah, I can see that! XD

March 18, 2019 at 4:13 pm
  • Reply Liz - Home with the Hummingbirds

I’ve read almost all of the books on this list… YAY! They’re awesome. 😉

March 16, 2019 at 1:01 pm
    • Reply Aria

Neat! Yeah. :)

March 18, 2019 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Sarah

I’ve heard of a lot of these books but many of them I never read :(. But those Mandie books! I was addicted to them back when I was about 10, I have the whole collection on my shelf. I was an avid reader but over time I kinda had less time to read. I really should read more. It’s great you’ve been able to keep it up!

March 16, 2019 at 1:17 pm
    • Reply Aria

They’re all so good! Oh, fun! Yeah, I understand that.

March 18, 2019 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Clara

Wow, we read a lot of the same books when we were little! I’ve read all of these with the exception of Caddie Woodlawn and The Melendy Quartet. I love the picture of you with a book over your face – the colors are so bright and pretty!

-Clara <3

March 16, 2019 at 3:17 pm
    • Reply Aria

I love them all! Aww, thanks Clara!

March 18, 2019 at 4:20 pm
  • Reply Carlye

I read most of these books when I was younger, as did my mom! I loved both the Boxcar Children and the Nancy Drew series.

March 16, 2019 at 6:54 pm
    • Reply Aria

Yeah, me too! Thanks for commenting, Carlye!

March 18, 2019 at 4:20 pm
  • Reply Kendra Lynne @ The Wanderling

Wow. The only books on this list I have not read in the past is the Mandie series! 😀 Great choices of books. *nods*

March 16, 2019 at 8:52 pm
    • Reply Aria

Neat! Ha ha, thanks, Kendra Lynne. :)

March 18, 2019 at 4:21 pm
  • Reply Maddison Merriman

I think I’ve read most of those in the list! I love reading. <3

quick question: What camera do you recommend? Feel free to email me if it'd be easier for you! haha 😉

March 16, 2019 at 10:00 pm
  • Reply Allison

Ooh, this are GREAT choices, Aria! I think I might have read all of these, or at least one of the books in the series. My favorite from the ones you’ve mentioned is probably the Little House series. 😉 It’s just so heartwarming.

March 17, 2019 at 4:54 pm
    • Reply Aria

*bows* Thank you, thank you. Yeah, I love that one too!

March 18, 2019 at 4:23 pm
  • Reply isabel

Throwback!! I’ve read a ton of these. I’ve read all the Nancy Drew books as well! I’ve also read at least like 30 of the Boxcar Children books :’D
    You had a very good taste in books as a child *nods*

March 18, 2019 at 7:59 am
    • Reply Aria

Ooh, neat! And thanks. 😉

March 18, 2019 at 4:25 pm
  • Reply Kiley

I have red so many of the books on this list haha! Bringing back some memories!
    The Mandie series was always my favorite, I would read them over and over again. :)

March 19, 2019 at 11:48 am
  • Reply Annie

Hey! It’s Annie, you know, the one who followed your blog, even emailed with you about book covers, and then never commented on your posts. I do like your blog still, and read it, haha! 😉 I love practically all of these books. I’ve read and loved the Little House, and dear Caddie Woodlawn. And OHH the Melendys… SUCH SWEET BOOKS!!! My mom read those to me years ago. <3 I'm currently reading the Mandie series, haha. And the Betsy-Tacey, and Grandma's Attic books are adorable. <3 I never finished the Betsey-Tacey books, because they were "older," but I really, really should soon. I'm on book two now. I guess I needed that breath of fresh air of children books… so fun! Keep posting, your blog is a blast to read!

March 19, 2019 at 5:46 pm
  • Reply Muffin

“I still remember being curled up on my bed, scared out of my wits when I read the first book in this series. They’re actually not that scary at all, but then I always was a timid child.”

That was me, but with the Nancy Drew series.

I’ve read almost all of these and this post makes me so nostalgic. I want to go re-read Caddie Woodlawn now…

March 20, 2019 at 5:26 pm