life, serious thoughts

2019 Goals and My Word for the Year

aria-photo-2

Hello, dears! I wanted to get at least one more New Year’s post out. I’ve been thinking about goals and the concept of choosing one word to define your year. So I thought I’d share some of my thoughts here, with y’all. :)

A few days ago, I saw Rebekah’s post about her One Word for the year. I really like that idea, and decided to define this year in one word: Freedom. I chose this word because last year I was trapped. Trapped behind hiding my age. Trapped behind the unknown. Trapped behind regret and things that happened that I need to move on from. This year I want to move on from the past, move on and learn freedom – the freedom we have in Christ, freedom from the world. Freedom to live, as I am, for my Savior, with joy and delight.

aria-photo-8

I never make resolutions because when I used to they always would fail. XD Besides, the resolutions I used to make were like, to keep my room clean and be more serious and mature and save money. That was when I was 13 and I just needed to realize that I needed to be a slightly haphazard teen for a bit. I tried too hard. And things like that – keeping your room clean and being mature and saving money – well, they come with time, and you notice that you’re doing them without even trying. (It’s funny to look back and realize you’ve achieved all those – but that they happen over time, not exactly in one year. Although I don’t think I’ll ever be too serious. XD)

aria-photo-6

Some of my goals this year are to actually read through the Bible chronologically, because I’ve never done that, nor have I been able to actually read through the Bible in a year before. *shrinks* I want to make some friends locally, because I have like 2 and one of them is off on a mission trip. (Hi, Sam!) I want to shoot 20 photo sessions, paid or not. I want to take some classes in things like self-defense and watercolor. (Two drastically different things but eh, that’s me.) I want to save enough money for a car (though I probably won’t buy a car, I’d like to have the knowledge that I would have enough money to do that). I want to get strong. And I want to start, finish, and publish The Watermelon Club.

aria-photo-4
LOOK WHAT ALLISON GAVE MEEEE!

In Surmise

In surmise, I’m excited for this year. I’m eager to see what will happen. It’s a very interesting thing to look forward at the year in the beginning and then look back at the end. Looking back at 2018, if I had known what was going to happen to myself and my family I would have been overwhelmed. I know the beginning of the year I didn’t have the strength, the faith, and the courage I would need. But God’s grace is always sufficient and He gave it to me as I needed it. Last year, I can see the word to define it was grow, which I did much of. I don’t know what this year is going to look like. It could be just as hard or harder as the last year, or it could be easier. It’s hard not to know, but I rest in the fact that God knows and holds us in the palm of His hand.

aria-photo-3

This year is going to be full of new things. We’ve finally found a church that I pray is the right one for us (we’ve been out of a church for over 2 and a half years), and will be visiting it this weekend. I’ll be turning eighteen and hopefully getting my drivers’ license. I pray and hope that I get to go see Allison again, and hopefully meet another blogger friend. I’m 90% sure that I am going to perform a solo concert in the spring. This year is also the first actual year since I’ve graduated, so I’ll be keeping on working part-time for my dad and growing my photography business.

It’s going to be an interesting year, no matter what happens. I’m curious to see what God has in store for me.

And that ends my long post. XD I hope you got through it all right! What are some of your goals for the year? Are you expecting anything exciting to happen?

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

16 Comments

• Reply isabel

I love your word of the year! Awesome goals. Omw Allison’s jar is so cute! What a fun idea. Good luck with all your goals-hope you have a great 2019! Also the cactus planner <333

January 7, 2019 at 12:04 pm
    • Reply Aria

Thanks, Isabel! Isn’t it? Many thanks, dear!

January 7, 2019 at 4:16 pm
  • Reply Amie

Wow, great post, Aria! And I hope 2019 is able to live up to the word you chose for it. One of my goals is to get better at violin. 😉 And maybe not be so tone-deaf. XD

January 7, 2019 at 12:05 pm
    • Reply Aria

Thank you, Amie. :) Well that’s a great goal! XD

January 7, 2019 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Sarah

I loved this post, and I hope you reach all of your goals. It is very easy to take earthly things for granted, but in the last year I’ve been trying to pray and trust more in God. My goals this year is to spend more time with art, work harder at guitar practice and improve my singing voice.

January 7, 2019 at 12:33 pm
    • Reply Aria

That’s so true, Sarah! Oh, those are great goals! Thanks for commenting, dear! :)

January 7, 2019 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Maddison Merriman

I really love the idea of a “word of the year”, but am not sure how far into the year I’d keep it. I feel like I change so much throughout the year that I need different words as time goes on. I am going to try it, though! Thanks for the inspiration!😉

January 7, 2019 at 12:39 pm
    • Reply Aria

Thanks, Maddi! Yeah, I know what you mean. Of course!

January 7, 2019 at 4:18 pm
  • Reply Allison

This was an EXCELLENT post, dear! Not too long at all, hee hee. Best wishes on completing your goals (they sound great)! Happy 2019, my friend. :)

January 7, 2019 at 4:57 pm
  • Reply Hannah

I love the “word of the year” idea – the one you chose was wonderful :) The gift Allison gave you is such a neat idea. 😀

January 7, 2019 at 7:31 pm
    • Reply Aria

Thanks, Hannah! Yes, isn’t it? :)

January 10, 2019 at 9:02 pm
  • Reply Hannah E.S.

I personally love new year resolutions. It gets people excited, even though we don’t actually get a new start, it gets us pumped up to make a change. To improve. For me, I mostly have art goals. Like experimenting with new art medias, working out XD, working to be better on certain school subjects, work on learning Japanese, and get in the habit of doing my personal Bible time. Oh, and seeing how long I can go for without drinking soda. LOL 😀

January 8, 2019 at 5:49 pm
    • Reply Aria

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ahh, those sound like great goals! Ha ha, good luck with that. XD

January 10, 2019 at 9:03 pm
  • Reply Liz - Home with the Hummingbirds

Nice post, Aria! I think it’s always interesting to see other people’s goals! 😉
    A word for the year is a cool idea too.
    Also, I love the little jar Allison made for you! 😀

One of my goals is similar to yours. I want to finish reading the Bible! I’ve read through about 1/3 of it, so we’ll see what I can get done. 😀

January 9, 2019 at 6:27 pm
    • Reply Aria

Yeah, same here. :)
      Oh, cool! I hope it goes well for you!

January 10, 2019 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Samantha Sky Grady

Hi, back! Yes, i’m your MIA friend on the missions trip and I miss you dearly. Loved this post and am so proud of you for having so many awesome aspirations and making so many great goals for the new year! Happy 2019!

January 10, 2019 at 8:21 pm